We often do not think about the set of criteria we need to meet to design a product or a package that is suitable for selling it from the shelves. Masterprint offers full scale solutions to its partners in the field of marking technology to help them meet the requirements more efficiently and economically.
Now, we have developed an automated measurement and labelling marking technology system for one of the biggest cheese producers in Hungary, as a result of which several stages have been automated with a complex system.
Masterprint has recently provided a solution for a special marking technology problem. One of the biggest cheese producers in Hungary – producing more than 160 different types of cheese – wanted to set up an automated system in their factory, that uses a certified scale to weigh the products and puts a label on them showing the products’ retail price. The system was set up in combination with an automated aggregate label printing system. In addition, it was important to record the data precisely, sorted in a database, so that the data authenticated previously can be retraced in case of complaints.
Our partner needed a system that handles items with different shape and size to cover the widest possible range of products. We are always delighted to receive a specific task like this, because we can make use of our decades of experience to design such a complex system.
The task is performed by an automated measurement and labelling system, with a 4 stage selecting function. The system has been set up using the following elements:
- A conveyor belt tracking the distance between the products: In order to ensure certified measurement, it was important to have a belt regulating the distance between the products, because only one piece of cheese can be put on the belt at a time. This belt allows the product to be measured only at the regulated distance and speed.
- Ishida belt weigher (certified) with integrated CEIA detector: Ishida is a producer with several years of experience, weighing in a credible and sufficiently precise manner, that transfers the data with fast data communication. Ishida was an obvious choice since our sister company, MasterQuality Kft. is the exclusive distributor of the Ishida products, and the quality was already proven on several occasions. Considering the high sensitivity of CEIA metal detectors we can state that CEI is one of the best among these products.
- Novexx ALX 924 with a top labelling application: We have installed a Novexx ALX 924 top labelling device in the system, a product with an appropriate price/value ratio and high printing quality. As the size and shape of the products are continuously changing, we have designed a unique label applicator for this, so that it can be used for label any type of cheese product.
- Novexx ALS 206 bottom labelling device: Once the top label with various data is fixed after the measurement, the standard label can also be put on the product.
- 4 stage selection/sorting station: Besides measurement and labelling, sorting function was also required. Products can be sorted based on the defects (weight is lower or higher than required, metal contamination, other defect) or according to weight. It can be set that after measurement and labelling, products less than 1 kg will go to box No 1, products between 1 and 2 kg will go to box No 2, products between 2 and 5 kg will go to box No 3 and defected products will go to box No 4.
- Automated printing of aggregating labels for packages, boxes or pallets: The data of the aggregate labels include the data of individual measurements, where after the automated label printing phase, the label is put manually on the products. The content of the aggregate labels can be freely configurated, the system can aggregate cheese in any type of geometric features.
Besides the physical system (hardware), the software including the product and production database, the label editor, an interactive graphic user interface, network communication and remote access, was also important. All the data related to the products – GTIN, SSCC, weight limits, label design – are saved and stored in the central database. The operator just selects the appropriate product and how many kilograms, how many packages or pallets need to be labelled. The machine will automatically stop once it is finished with the given quantity.
Thanks to the experience of our colleagues, the solution we managed to work out is fully adapted to the needs of our client. This challenge has proved again that we are able to develop a complex system suitable for various solutions and we hope that we will have the opportunity to carry out similar projects in the near future!